Friday, June 20, 2008

New Book Alert: The Best Business Schools' Admissions Secrets

I got an alert from Amazon today about a new book, The Best Business Schools' Admissions Secrets: A Former Harvard Business School Admissions Board Member Reveals the Insider Keys to Getting In. It comes out on July 1. I haven't seen the book yet, but it sounds like a good resource. I'm an advocate of using whatever research you have time to use! If you are planning to apply this year, you might want to check it out.

As a reminder, I've got a list of recommended books on the right side. Except for this new book, my recommendations are all based on my personal experience using the book.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, I wonder how long these "secrets" will be effective after the next few thousand applicants submit look-alike apps based on this "inside" info. The fatal flaw of all how-to-beat-the-system MBA admissions strategy books is that the alleged advantages vanish as more readers follow the author's advice. Catch 22! In fact, the ad comms read the same books! C'mon people, be yourself.

Unknown said...

Dano, not everyone applying to BSchool was born with the knowledge to wow ad comms. I don't think Tinydancer was advocating copying these "secrets" into your app, but instead building an app using good advice from a number of sources and then tailoring it with your own message/style. I think that can really help the general applicant. And ad comms aren't looking for unmatched brilliance in each application, so taking advice from a book is perfectly OK.

tinydancer said...

dano,
I agree with you that everyone should be themselves in their applications. However I disagree that these books are not valuable. I think everyone should use the resources available to them as they deem appropriate. People do the same for med school and law school, why not for business school? You are right that the title of the book is a little misleading ... if the "secrets" ever were actually secrets, they aren't anymore. But that's just marketing. Certainly there is some good advice out there in these books and I don't think they cause all applications to look the same. I think the opposite actually - they challenge applicants to reflect on their lives and accomplishments in order to put their own unique best foot forward.
*Disclaimer* - Again I think it's worth mentioning that I haven't read this particular book, but I did read and use the other books I recommend.

Sharer said...

GMAT Test

Nice blog on gmat mba !!thx for posting it.me too a blogger

IIM MBA CATub

Rocky said...

Interesting text. You have a nice blog. Keep it up!